At Fertility Associates we have a team of professional counsellors with expertise in fertility, who understand the emotional complexities and challenges of fertility treatment and related issues.
Counselling can be helpful to understand and manage your emotions during treatment or at critical decision points such as whether or not to try IVF, use an egg donor or continue treatment. We provide counselling for individuals or couples, depending on the issues and areas of concern.
Our counsellors are also experienced at the process of completing an Ethics Applications for more complex treatments, such as surrogacy, donor embryo and other donor arrangements.
It’s common when you’re having difficulty conceiving, for ‘getting pregnant’ to become your most important goal.
The intense desire to continue pursuing this goal, and the depth of emotion experienced during treatment, is often underestimated – and many of our patients find talking to one of our specialist counsellors an invaluable experience. It can help immensely to understand your emotional responses, talk them through in a safe, neutral environment, and access strategies for minimising stress and anxiety.
A free consultation is included with most IVF treatment options, and we encourage you to discuss this with your medical team.
Seeing one of our counsellors can help you to:
- Gain a better understanding of your emotional responses.
- Explore and enhance your existing coping responses to help you feel more in control.
- Better understand the implications of treatment decisions.
- Understand your partner’s responses to treatment.
- Develop support networks and communication tools for friends and family.
- Deal with negative results and planning for what next.
- Provide support around pregnancy loss.
- Understand implications around using a donor.
- Improve emotional wellbeing – especially if you are feeling it is hard to enjoy life at the moment.
More helpful information
- Counselling and Support, Pathways Booklet
- Counselling and Support more info
- Information For Men about IVF
- Information for partners and friends, Pathways Booklet 19/20
- Navigating the Ups and Downs, from Pathways Booklet 19/20
- Donor Conception Network
- Australian Access Network
- National Screening Network
- ECART - Ethics Committee
- About HART Act
- Recommended Reading List