Genetic Screening - Invitae
All donors at Fertility Associates are screened using Invitae genetic screening.
Why we do it?
Genetic screening identifies whether you are a carrier of a range of inherited conditions. Most people are carriers of one or more genetic conditions, even though no one in their family has the condition. Being a carrier is important if the person using the sperm is also a carrier of the same condition.
Invitae’s carrier screening includes:
- Severe and prevalent disorders seen across all ethnicities
- Enhanced SMA testing to help identify silent carriers
- Comprehensive Fragile X analysis, including AGG interruptions
- Full gene sequencing with deletion and duplication analysis leading to a 99% detection rate for most genes
- Actionable results; no reporting of variants of unknown significance
Different Options of number of genes tested
- Comprehensive – 288 - this is the option we use for donor screening
- Core - 3
- Broad - 46
When we do it?
At your screening appointment (for semen analysis) we will also take a saliva sample.
More info can be found here on the Info sheet
Or you can visit the Invitae website here.